Anwar Ibrahim: Siasat Kematian Kugan Ananthan(dikemaskini)

Kuala Lumpur, 23hb Januari 2009

Siasat Kematian Kugan Ananthan

Insiden kematian seorang pemuda India di Balai Polis Taipan, USJ, Subang Jaya ketika masih ditahan sangat mengejutkan. Kematian Kugan Ananthan 22 tahun mengingatkan kita kepada insiden M. Ulaganathan, juga mati ketika masih ditahan polis. Mahkamah Tinggi Kuala Lumpur memutuskan bahawa kematian M. Ulaganathan adalah disebabkan kecuaian dan pengabaian melampau pihak polis. Berulangnya insiden seperti ini pasti menghakis keyakinan rakyat terhadap kewibawaan pihak polis sebagai sebuah institusi keselamatan.

Bagi memastikan keyakinan rakyat dipulihkan, saya menuntut agar sebuah badan siasatan yang bebas dan telus diwujudkan serta merta bagi menyiasat insiden kematian Kugan Ananthan. Foto serta bukti yang menunjukkan adanya kecederaan pada si mati sudah tentu membangkitkan rasa tidak puas hati bukan sahaja kepada keluarga mangsa, malah juga kepada seluruh rakyat Malaysia yang mahukan institusi polis memulihkan kembali kewibawaannya.

Saya selaku ahli parlimen dan Ketua Pembangkang Dewan Rakyat, komited untuk membawa isu ini ke Dewan Rakyat kelak. Beserta dokongan rakan-rakan ahli-ahli parlimen lainnya kami akan mencari jalan untuk meningkatkan tahap profesionalisme pihak polis serta memulihkan keyakinan rakyat terhadap institusi keselamatan tersebut.(tamat)


Kugan’s family tells of anguish, anxiety
Andrew Ong | Jan 24, 09 3:50pm

For six days following A Kugan’s disappearance on Jan 14, his family members had sleepless nights searching for him but it was all in vain.


On Jan 20, their worst fears were realised when a patrol car pulled up in front of a relative’s home in Puchong, to inform them that Kugan had died under police custody.

kugan house 230109 parents at altar“Why? Why couldn’t they just call us when he was arrested? But when he died, they seemed to know how to find our house,” said Kugan’s father G Sandaran when met at his relative’s home in Puchong today.

Kugan is the latest victim of death while in police custody, allegedly due to assault. The police had claimed that Kugan was a suspected car thief and there was no foul play involved in his death.

Relatives told Malaysiakini that they last saw Kugan on Jan 14 at about 7pm and never heard from him again.

His aunt, S Renuga, 31, recalled on that evening she received an anonymous phone call informing her that Kugan had been arrested but details were sketchy.

“I could not sleep that night. We searched from one police station to another looking for him but everywhere we went, they said he was not there,” she said.

The following morning, Renuga got even more anxious when two plainclothes policemen came to her home at 6am looking for Kugan.

“They said they were from D9 (serious crimes unit). They were very fierce and they wanted to know who Kugan’s friends were,” she said, adding that she had no knowledge of the deceased’s friends.

No criminal record

Renuga is close to Kugan because the latter frequently visited her husband who was his business partner. Kugan used to help his uncle tows cars for an insurance company.

kugan house 230109 relatives at altarWith two jobs to manage, Renuga and Sandaran are both convinced that Kugan had no time for criminal activities, as alleged by the police, especially since the deceased never had a criminal record.

“Every sen he earned was legitimate. He has been learning how to fix cars since his secondary school days. His hobby was modifying cars, not stealing them,” said Sandaran.

“But now, the first time he was arrested, he was killed,” Renuga was quick to add.

Sandaran said he was extremely suspicious because of the numerous injuries found on Kugan’s body and the statements made by Selangor police chief Khalid Abu Bakar.

Kugan’s family has ruled out death due to illnesses because he never had any medical conditions.

kugan death protest 210109 posters 03Sandaran vowed to pursue the matter until those responsible for his son’s death are brought to justice, though his immediate concern was to see that a second post-mortem is conducted and burial rites are performed quickly.

“I hope this never happens to another Malaysian, especially an Indian. The Indians are the largest number of people who die at the hands of the police,” he said.

Sandaran also denied police and media accusations that a ‘mob’ had barged into the Serdang hospital mortuary on Jan 20 to claim Kugan’s body.

“They (hospital attendants) opened the door for us. The door can only be opened from the inside,” he said.

Khalid had earlier claimed that Kugan died from having ‘fluid in his lungs’ and that his family had barged into the hospital mortuary.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: